Some may wonder why Lassen Municipal Utility District (LMUD) offers rebates to customers who buy and install energy-efficient equipment and appliances.
The answer is simple: As a publicly owned utility, it is our responsibility to help those who use our product to do so as wisely as possible.
Funding for rebates and other related programs is part of our public benefits program. In 1998 California legislation mandated public utilities set aside 2.85% of their retail energy sales and use that money for specific needs: demand-side management (rebates and energy-efficiency programs), education, services for income-eligible customers, and investment into renewable energy and emerging technologies.
Each year as LMUD develops its annual budget, we forecast the funding for our public benefits programs. We look at each category and allocate funds accordingly. Some programs stay the same, others may go away and some are added.
Here is the list of residential programs and rebate amounts for the fiscal year 2021 to 2022:
- Clothes washer, $35
- Dishwasher, $35
- Refrigerator, $50
- Storage water heater, $200
- Heat pump water heater, $350
- Smart power strip, $10
- Convectair electric heater, $20 to $30 per unit
- Central air conditioner, up to $75 per ton, depending on Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) and Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER)
- Evaporative-cooled split-system air conditioner, $100 per ton
- Ductless mini-split air conditioner, $50 to $100 per ton, depending on SEER and EER
- Air-source heat pump, $100 per ton
- Ductless mini-split heat pump, $100 per ton
- Ground source heat pump, $1,000 per ton
- Room air conditioner, $75
- Whole-house fan, $25
All appliances must be Energy Star-compliant. Dishwasher and washing machine rebates are dependent on your home having an electric water heater. If you are buying an electric water heater, it must meet the minimum requirement of an energy factor of 0.93 or higher.
The best way to make sure replacement appliances or equipment meet all LMUD rebate requirements is to visit the district’s Residential Rebates page, or call (530) 257-4174. Our public relations/energy services manager is generally available during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
To learn more about how Energy Star evaluates appliances and other equipment, visit the Energy Star website.